I know I should be thankful for the warm weather and extended summer into October, but I can't help but desire a chill in the air and a fall treat like Apple Crisp.
Blackberry and Apple Crisp with Nut Topping
* 3 red apples—peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
* 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (feel free to sub for blueberries or another berry)
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup rolled oats
* 1/3 cup whole almonds and pecans, coarsely chopped
* 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3 tablespoons butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. In a bowl, toss the apples with the blackberries, sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Scrape the filling into the baking dish.
2. In a bowl, toss the oats with the remaining » cup of flour and the nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the butter and rub it in thoroughly. Sprinkle the topping over the filling and bake for 35 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the top- ping is browned. Let the crisp cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine