Friday, September 07, 2007

Would You Like Flies With That? Thanks, Nobu!


I had the pleasure of nearly eating a little something extra while dining at Nobu Tribeca on Wednesday night. I took some photos with my cell phone, but it was so dark in there they didn't come out well. If you don't believe me, I can send them to your phone.

We went for a special dinner with my mother-in-law, aunt-in-law and my husband. We sat up front at a nice table and prepared for a delicious sushi experience. My mother-in-law has recently come to appreciate the deliciousness that is sake and ordered a container of both hot and cold for the table.

We poured rounds of sake out of the hot caraffe most quickly and received a little surprise with the last pour, a dead fly. He lay still in my husband's cup. We called the waiter quietly to take it away as we didn't want to make a big deal. Hey, these things happen, right? The host came over and apologized and kindly ordered us another caraffe of hot saki.

My aunt-in-law continued to make headway on the cold saki and on her last pour, she too received a token fly in her cup, this one much bigger like a traditional house fly. We all burst out laughing... I mean what are the chances? But at the same time, we were pretty grossed out.

Nobu is considered one of the nicest places to eat in Manhattan for sushi and here we had been served two flies in less than two hours.

I must say that the staff was very accommodating. We didn't eat for free, but our bill was substantially reduced. I am sure that there will be a new procedure for cleaning and storing the saki containers -- upside down and triple rinsed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. I don't expect that from Nobu. Nice of them to reduce the bill.

Anonymous said...

first of all, that place has been on a downward spiral since last summer. anything but the sushi is just not that great.

second of all, hot sake? that says something about the restaurant right there.

Anonymous said...

www.diehipster.com