Monday, August 27, 2007

Can You O.D. on Vitamins?



I finally picked up some Diet Coke Plus this weekend and just sat down to have my first sip. As a Vitamin Water fan, I was excited to try a new take on my daily diet coke habit that offered an added bonus -- without the sugar.

The lovely rainbow and aqua blue branding on the outside of the can is so much nicer that the original can decor. Of course, it tastes the same but it's nice to know I am getting my vitamins and minerals.

According to Wikipedia, each "8-ounce serving of Diet Coke Plus provides 15 percent of the daily value for niacin and vitamins B6 and B12, and 10 percent for zinc and magnesium. In fact the second main ingredient in diet coke plus is magnesium sulfate."

The question I have is with all these new vitamin and mineral enriched foods/drinks, do I need to rethink my daily vitamin? I mean, I know too much Iron is not a good thing, and I think I remember reading that too much Vitamin A isn't good for you.

So, the question is: Can you overdose on the good stuff?

No comments: