Friday, December 15, 2006

Mom always said to look both ways...

Came across some news that there was a pedestrian death this week at the interection of Montague and Henry Streets in Brooklyn Heights. While it's terrible news it's unfortunately not suprising at all. I have a car in Brooklyn and am nervous driving in that area because it is exploding with children and pets. People (myself included) don't look both ways before crossing the street. Brooklyn Heights is such a close knit neighborhood and you don't have the cab and bus traffic like you do in New York. I think people just get comfortable and think "oh that car will stop." When I am driving I am suprised at how many people just step off the curb without looking or when it's clear I am coming. Of course, when I am on the other side of the steering wheel, I feel like I have the right of way too. So I guess best rule of thumb is to remember what mom said and "look both ways" before crossing any street.

No comments: