Thursday, May 03, 2007

Domino's Will Never Equate to Brooklyn Style Pizza

The whole idea of Domino's claiming to have "Brooklyn style pizza" is just an oxymoron in itself.

I must admit I lived on Domino's in college, but only because it was essentially free (I could order these "points" through school and then my parents got charged). It was OK. I am by no means a pizza snob, but I have had some good pizza. I think I may have blogged about pizza several months back, but I was recently reminded of the topic when I saw this.

A new Domino's marketing campaign seeks to answer the Domino's 'Great Debate': Philly Cheese Steak vs. Brooklyn Style pizza. I have never had a Philly Cheese Steak from Philly, but I watched that Bobby Flay throw down episode and I can say without a doubt that I would choose a Philly Cheese Steak over a slice of Domino's pizza. Oh, and don't even get me started on those horrible ads with supposed Brooklynites talking about Brooklyn style pizza.
Kenny Wallace picked Philly and even talked sports with his pizza.
Dale Jarrett, a devout Yankees fan, went with Brooklyn.
David Reutimann also went with Brooklyn.
And Michael Waltrip...well...he just said, "I just like Domino's."
Considering I work in PR, I have a little insight into how these "campaigns" work. Molto Mario knew what he was doing branching out into NASCAR with his tailgate cookbook. This is a huge marketing opportunity.

I am guessing that these drivers have probably had better pizza at some point in their lives. But, for now, let me know what you think Domino's touting BK Style Pizza?

No comments: