- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. white onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- ¾ c dry white wine
- 1 tomato, seeded, diced (about ½ cup)
- 4 cups low salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped, (about ¼ cup)
- ½ tsp fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried
- 4 tsps. Finely grated parmesan cheese
Melt butter with oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add wine; simmer until wine evaporates, about 4 minutes. Add tomato and sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat. Transfer 1cup of chicken or vegetable broth and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot. Add remaining 3 cups broth, chopped prosciutto, and thyme. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with Parmesan cheese.